Throughout the year, each congregation has its own worship service but we come together periodically for some special services.
The last Sunday in Advent service in Avonmore is led by young people. Finch has a regular service.
Anniversaries are always a good time to celebrate, and we support one another's special Sunday.
- Avonmore's anniversary is the fourth Sunday in September;
- Finch's anniversary is the second Sunday in September;
- Gravel Hill does not celebrate its anniversary every year.
The annual meeting follows Sunday worship. The meetings are scheduled at the various churches as follows:
- Avonmore: Last Sunday in January;
- Finch: First Sunday in March; and
- Gravel Hill: Second Sunday in February.
Avonmore Fair Service
Avonmore's summer fair is a fun time for the community and churches come together to lead Sunday worship during that time. In 2020 (Jul 19), the Presbyterian Church will lead worship; in 2021, it will be the United Church's turn. Finch has a regular service.
The Christmas Eve service alternates between Avonmore (in 2020) and Finch (in 2021).
This is the one special service where the congregations do not come together for worship. There are 4 or 5 communion services throughout the year. Dates for communion services in 2020 are:
- First Sunday in Lent (March 1);
- Good Friday (April 10 - held online;
- Pentecost Sunday (May 31);
- World Communion Sunday (October 4);
- First Sunday in Advent (November 29).
Communion for shut-ins and those in hospitals or nursing homes is scheduled around the above dates.
The congregations comes together to celebrate Good Friday in the different churches. In 2020, the Good Friday service was supposed to be held at Gravel Hill but was online instead because of closures due to COVID-19.
Memorial Cemetery Services
Memorial services are held at the different cemeteries in the communities. Churches take turns as to which leads the worship.
- Finch Cemetery (Finch): Second Sunday in June (Jun 14) at 2:00 p.m. In 2020, the United Church takes the lead.
- Goldfield: Third Sunday in June (Jun 21) at 2:00 p.m. In 2020, the United Church takes the lead.
- Gravel Hill: First Sunday in September (Sep 6) at 2:00 p.m. In 2020, the Presbyterian Church takes the lead.
- Paul's Hill (Avonmore):Fourth Sunday in June (Jun 28) at 7:00 p.m. in 2020, the Presbyterian Church takes the lead.
Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper
St. Andrew's Ladies Aid takes the lead to organize and run the Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper, held at North Stormont Place in Avonmore.
World Day of Prayer
Congregations in Finch come together to celebrate the World Day of Prayer. In 2020, St. Luke's-Knox Presbyterian hosted the service. In 2021, St. Bernard Catholic Church will host.